Thursday, June 3, 2010

Updating Ipod Touch

 Wasted much of today dealing with the aftermath of updating Ipod Touch 1G to firmware 3.1.3. DON'T DO IT! Lost all of my painstakingly gathered (from MxTube) energy tech instructional videos that I need to take to Jerusalem, West Bank and Ramallah next week. 3.1.3 can't be jailbroken, even with redsn0w. My advice: don't go further than 3.1.2.

May 13 at 11:54pm ·
Thomas Henry Culhane
Thomas Henry Culhane
Downgrading is also problematic so hang on to your old 3.1.2 ipsw file! Apple is fighting to keep us from using their tools in unorthodox ways.
May 13 at 11:54pm ·
Thomas Henry Culhane
Thomas Henry Culhane
I adhere to the cyberpunk motto: "Information longs to be free"; can't stand it when otherwise good hardware tries to restrict creative software uses and "unauthorized" third party apps. It is like buying a saw that cuts wood but won't let you cut plastic. And no, please don't tell me that it protects the jobs of "legitimate" software developers ... See Moreto restrict what we put on our devices and how we use information to communicate important ideas. We have a lot of work to do in sustainable development and don't have time to be hamstrung. We have to "move the mountain to Mohammed", if you know what I mean, and fast!
May 13 at 11:59pm ·
Hey Taha, it CAN be jailbroken now... You need to look for "Spirit"...should be on google.
May 14 at 2:50am · 
Dang,wish I'd known that before I'd labored for hours with Qwkpwn and Blackra19 tutorials that hung my ipod and finally lost everything doing restores. anyway I now have a jailbroken 3.1.2, and if I venture back up to 3.1.3 for any reason I'll give Spirit a try; if it works as quickly and easily as blackra1n was supposed to I'm sold!
May 14 at 6:52pm

No comments: